We the Brethren of Lodge Toryglen 1561, express our appreciation and admiration to a number of Founder members through who's efforts over a 2 year period, a dream came to fruition. During that time they constantly met at the home of Bro. B.B. Orr in Toryglen, hoping that one day their efforts would realise the birth of a Masonic Lodge in the Toryglen area. Their diligence was rewarded when on the 6th August 1959, the Grand Lodge of Scotland granted a charter. We also express our appreciation to our 2 sponsor Lodges for their important contribution, viz, Lodge Govanhill No. 1222 and Lodge Glasgow Abercrombie No. 1430.
On Saturday 7th November 1959, the Ceremony of Erection & Consecration took place in Toryglen Primary School at 3:30pm (which was to be our Temple for the next 8 years). Heading the Provincial Grand Lodge of Glasgow Deputation and representing the Grand Lodge of Scotland was the P.G.M. Bro. E Noakes, assisted by the D.P.G.M. Bro. John McRussell with 6 other substitutes in the very large and distinguished Deputation. The P.G.M. Installed Bro. John Clark M.M. Lodge St. Convals No.1359, as the 1st R.W.M. of Lodge Toryglen. The D.P.G.M. installed the remaining Office Bearers. At this meeting the 1st Hon. Membership was conferred upon Bro. David M. Callander PM Lodge Abercrombie No. 1430, for services rendered to Lodge Toryglen. The Obligation was administered by Bro. Andrew T. Gordon PM Lodge Gael No. 609. Lodge Toryglen proved unique as the Brethren had to retire from the school (in all weathers) to the hut in Kerrylamont Avenue, to enjoy Lodge Harmonies, and many a happy night was enjoyed by Brethren and Visitors alike.
Unfortunately due to circumstances the hut was sold to a scout group and the Lodge then accepted the kind invitation from Lodge The St. John Operative No. 347, and joined them in Cathcart St, Rutherglen in 1967. They have since moved to their present premises to our current location in Melrose Avenue, Rutherglen where we accompanied them, and a long and happy association has prevailed between both Lodges.
Built with Mobirise - More